The 5 Steps
Moving out at the end of term? Let’s make the transition smooth, fair and sustainableâ€”for everyone! Here are 5 steps to help you avoid last-minute moving chaos and to ensure that rooms and shared spaces are left as clean as you’d want them if you were moving in.
- Start early to make your move out smooth. Spend some time each day packing and cleaning to avoid last-minute chaos, housekeeping assessments.
- Figure out what you’ll keep, donate or recycle. Items like printers, bookshelves, mini-fridges, sports equipment, mirrors or kitchen gear. Donate items in good condition.
- Go find your house or residence donation zone so you’re ready when you start packing. You’ll see bins for used books, electronic waste, used clothes, household items and non-perishable food.Â Can’t find it? Ask your RA!
- Put your plan into action: Moving out sustainably means trying to recycle or donate your unwanted belongings. Organize your items into four categories – keep, donate, recycle, or waste – for maximum efficiency!
- Donate items at your residence donation zone starting in early-April. Remember: Some items doÂ belong in the garbage, like broken, soiled or ripped stuff & half-eaten/used foods that canâ€™t be recycled or composted.
- Pack a little bit every day. You’ll be surprised how many things you can pack up in advance.
- Don’t leave it until the last minute! Remove all your belongings, garbage and food.
- Â Tip: If you need to store any of your belongings for next year, consider renting a storage locker.
- It’s time to clean! Create a cleaning plan. Complete our detailed cleaning checklist to avoid a housekeeping assessment. Be thorough, respectful, and leave nothing behind.
- Be thorough, respectful and leave nothing behind.
5a. Redirect and Disconnect
- Redirect your mail with your new address.Â If you believe you will be receiving a parcel following moving out you can authorize another person to pick it up for you. Please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with their name, your name and your student number.Â Any unclaimed mail will be returned to sender. Â
- Disconnect any service providers you have contracted (Shaw, Telus, Rogers, etc).
5b. Check out!
- Shut off lights, turn down heat/AC, close your windows and blinds, lock all windows and doors.
- Drop off your Check Out Envelope (with your keys enclosed) to the Nicola Housing Office. Â There is an after hours drop slot as well.