The 5 Steps
Moving out at the end of term? Let’s make the transition smooth, fair and sustainableâ€”for everyone! Here are 5 steps to help you avoid last-minute moving chaos and to ensure that rooms and shared spaces are left as clean as you’d want them if you were moving in.
- Start early. Make a list, and spend some time each day planning, organizing and cleaning to avoid last-minute chaos and pesky housekeeping assessments.
- Think about what you plan on keeping, donating and recycling. Items like printers, bookshelves, mini-fridges, sports equipment, mirrors or kitchen gear can be donated if they are in good condition. See below for more information about donating.
- Put your plan into action. Moving out sustainably means recycling or donating your unwanted belongings. Organize your items into four categories – keep, donate, recycle, or waste. Take items you no longer need now to the garbage, recycling or donation bins outside your residence, or the donation room (which will be set up in Nechako Residence Commonsblock).
- Is it trash? Remember, some items do belong in the garbage, like broken, soiled or ripped stuff & half-eaten/used foods that canâ€™t be recycled or composted.
- Pack a little bit every day. You’ll be surprised how many things you can pack up in advance.
- Don’t leave it until the last minute! Remove all your belongings, garbage and food.
- Â Tip: If you need to store any of your belongings for next year, consider renting a storage locker.
- It’s time to clean! Create a cleaning plan. If you have roommates, make sure you create a plan and schedule together. Complete our detailed cleaning checklist to avoid a housekeeping assessment.
- Be thorough, respectful and leave nothing behind.
5a. Redirect and Disconnect
- Redirect your mail with your new address. If you believe you’ll be receiving a parcel following moving out, you can authorize another person to pick it up for you. Please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with their name, your name, and your student number. Any unclaimed mail will be returned to sender. Â
- Disconnect any service providers you have contracted. Think: Shaw, Telus, Rogers, etc.
5b. Check out!
- Shut off lights, turn down heat/AC, close your windows and blinds, lock all windows and doors.
- Drop off your Check-Out Envelope (with your keys enclosed) to the Nechako Housing Office.