Moving out? Let’s make the transition smooth, fair and sustainable!
Here are 5 steps to help you avoid last-minute moving chaos, and to ensure that rooms and shared spaces are left as clean as you’d want them if you were moving in.
1. Start Early
Three weeks before move-out day
- Plan ahead andÂ make a list. Spend some time each day planning, organizing and cleaning to avoid last-minute chaos and pesky housekeeping assessments.
- Think about what you want to keep, donate and toss. Items like bookshelves, sports equipment, mirrors or kitchen gear can be donated if in good condition. See below for more information about donating.
- Redirect your mail with your new address by heading here. OrÂ authorize another person to pick your mail up for you by emailing email@example.com.Â
2. Sort & Donate
Two weeks before move-out day
- Put your plan into action and start organizing your things into four categories:
- Donate gently-used itemsÂ you no longer need to the Residence Donation Centre in Nechako’s Gathering Room. Our partnership with Big Brothers Big Sisters helps keep these items out of the waste stream so they can find a new home in the community! Stay tuned for hours of operation.
- Is it trash? Remember, some items do belong in the garbage. See below for more info!
One week before move-out day
- Pack a little bit every day. You'll be surprised how many things you can pack up in advance.
- Don't leave it until the last minute! Remove all your belongings, garbage and food.
- Tip: If you need to store any of your belongings for next year, consider renting a storage locker.
- Time to clean!Â If you have roommates, make sure you create a plan and schedule together. Complete our detailed cleaning checklist to avoid a housekeeping assessment.
- We’ll be distributing garbage bags to help you remove any waste.
- Be thorough, respectful and leave nothing behind.
5. Check out
- Shut off lights, turn down heat/AC, close your windows and blinds, lock all windows and doors.
- Drop off your Check-Out Envelope (with your keys enclosed) to the Nechako Housing Office.