Become a part of an amazing community!
Living Learning Communities (LLCs) are a unique opportunity to live in a close-knit community with peers who share similar interests and values. Plus, each LLC is supported by its very own Residence Life staff member who provides tailored extra-curricular programs and educational opportunities. These communities help bring students together to kick-start your university experience.
“The LLC program provides you with a wealth of opportunities. Mine has opened doors that I did not know existed.” -Elizabeth, Leadership and Civic Engagement Member
â€śLLC is a great way to get involved with the community and get out of your comfort zone.” â€“ Ricardo, Indigenous LLC Member
â€śBeing part of an LLC goes beyond living close to each other. Itâ€™s about having the opportunity to feel connected to others and achieve things together that makes belonging to that community matter.â€ť â€“ Muizz Yusuf, International and Global Leadership LLC Leader
“I really loved that my LLC brought the Go Global experience to me on campus. I was able to experience and learn about multiple different cultures without having to leave the comfort of UBCO. It gave me a taste of a variety of countries as well unique viewpoints from students my own age that had grown up outside of Canada. In some ways it was almost better than going abroad because you I was able to experience many different cultures by interacting with a variety of students rather than just picking one destination and being there for the semester or the year. I feet like I got more variety by being part of the Studying There and Back Again LLC.” â€“ Gen Walton, Studying There and Back Again LLC Leader
- Living Learning Communities (LLCs) are a unique opportunity to live on campus in a close-knit community with peers who share similar interests and values.
- They support student success by placing residents with similar interests into smaller communities in close proximity with each other – either on the same floor or in the same building community.
- These communities receive special programming, interactions with staff and campus partners, and are part of a web of support. Students must apply and be assigned to a specific LLC, as space is limited. Read below for more descriptions of exciting events and opportunities we’ve seen from our LLC’s in the past.
Research shows participation in an LLC can lead to:
- An increased sense of community; in residence and in the greater campus community
- Increased academic performance
- Successful and steady progress toward degree completion
- Meaningful engagement with other students, Residence Life staff, and campus partners & faculty
- Participation in connected courses and academic experiences
In addition, students involved in Living Learning Communities are retained at higher rates, are more engaged on campus, adjust more quickly to the academic demands of university, get to be part of enriching events, and find a true sense of belonging at UBCO.
- Youâ€™ll have the opportunity to connect with Residence Life staff and campus partners, faculty and staff based on the theme of your Living Learning Community.
- Youâ€™ll have a dedicated Residence Advisor (RA) that will guide your community and act as a resource and support to you and the other students in your LLC. They will host meetings, lead event planning, and generally host your LLC.
- Youâ€™ll be able to help participate in and/or plan legacy events in your LLC.
- You’ll make friends and connections with other like-minded students and foster relationships that will carry through your university experience.
- Each year our application cycle for LLCs is open from early to late May for the upcoming academic year.
- To apply for September 2021: APPLY HERE
- Yes. Your LLC choice will work towards determining your housing placement. The majority of our LLCs are placed within our typical first year experience buildings.
- In order to be placed in an LLC, you must first receive and accept a valid Housing offer for 2021-2022 (21W).
- You can expect to hear back from us regarding your LLC placement, if your housing application is also successful, in mid-July.
- While each year, the outcomes of the communities are in the hands of its leader and members, some past examples of great events and opportunities include:
- Our Indigenous LLC supports the annual Syilx Okanagan Nation Salmon Feast in Okanagan Falls. Our students travel to Penticton and participate in events and ceremonies alongside Syilx Elders for Salmon Feast with our Aboriginal Programs and Services Office to honor the sacredness of the river and enjoy an incredible meal with the community.
- Our Expressive Arts and International & Global Leadership LLCs partner to host a Multicultural Art Gala which showcases residence student and campus community art.
- Leadership and Civic Engagement LLC hosts a dinner titled â€śA Need to Eatâ€ť which is a homestyle meal for raising awareness and learning about food insecurity.
- Our Healthy Living LLC gets extraordinary muddy with their annual Dirty Dash mud run across and around campus that they host for all students.
- Innovation and Technology partner with our local innovation sector on interesting tours and entrepreneurship opportunities as well as hosting an Escape Room event.
- Our Sustainability LLC hosts a clothing exchange called Swap not Shop where students are able to donate their lightly used clothing and exchange their pieces for new wardrobe staples to help raise awareness about fast fashion and consumerismâ€™s impact on our planet.
- Please contact our Residence Life team at email@example.com
About UBCO’s Living Learning Communities:
Do you love to get outdoors and into nature? Have you always wanted to, but havenâ€™t had the chance? This LLC is a great way to connect with students who have the same passion and interest for outdoor adventures. Take a hike, go camping, learn useful outdoors skills, and more! But most of all, get out into the distinct natural beauty of the Okanagan Valley. Plus youâ€™ll have the unique opportunity to learn more about environmental advocacy. No previous outdoors experience required!
NOTE: The Studying There and Back Again Community LLC is not available for the 2021-2022 year.
This LLC provides an opportunity for students studying abroad to mingle with like-minded domestic students who are hoping to study in another country during their university experience. Together, these students will create joint experiences and memories that will enhance their global endeavours. This LLC is open to all students â€“ domestic, international, exchange, and returning from Go Global who have a passion for global pursuits and international wayfaring.
Please note that the residence area that you are assigned to is determined based on your LLC.