Living in a Single Connected Room
Basic dollars are tax free and can be used at most locations on campus for meals and non-alcoholic beverages. Flex dollars are used for other on-campus purchases (gum, candy, toiletries), alcoholic beverages, and off-campus food partners.
See Places to Eat for for a detailed list of locations.
This section refers to all levels of Mandatory Meal Plan, Standard Plan and Semester Plan
- Any unused funds, both Basic Meal Plan Dollars and Flex Dollars, will be automatically placed in a carryover plan. This carryover plan can be used for future on-campus food purchases but is 100% non-refundable, and cannot be redeemed for cash and/or applied as payment to any other UBC Food Services accounts. Once in the carryover plan these funds do not expire.
- If you do not wish to have your meal plan placed in a carryover account you may request a partial refund on the terms set out below within seven (7) days after your contract cancellation or your Move-Out Date. Refunds are requested using the refund form available online or in the Housing Office. To qualify for a refund a minimum amount of $50 is required. If you request a refund:
- 66% of unused Basic Meal Plan Dollars are refunded, with the remaining 34% retained by UBC Food Services. Unused Flex Dollars are refunded at 100%. All refunds are subject to a $25 administration fee.
- You may request a refund of your Flex Dollars only, and allow your Basic Meal Plan Dollars to automatically be placed in a carryover plan. The Flex Dollars will be refunded at 100% minus a $25 administration fee.
- Refunds are initiated once you have completed the refund form and residence check-out procedures. Refunds are processed using the initial method of payment.
With respect to refunds please note that the 34% non-refundable portion of the meal plan covers the cost of making quality food services available for residents at convenient times.
Your Convenience Plan has no expiration date and can be carried forward to future years. If you wish to refund your Convenience dollars you may do so minus a $25 administration fee.