Living in a Single Connected Room
Basic dollars are tax free and can be used at most locations on campus for meals and non-alcoholic beverages. Flex dollars are used for other on-campus purchases (gum, candy, toiletries), alcoholic beverages, and off-campus food partners.
See Places to Eat for for a detailed list of locations.
This section refers to all levels of Mandatory Meal Plan, Standard Plan and Semester Plan
- Any unused funds, both Basic Meal Plan Dollars and Flex Dollars, will be automatically placed in a carryover plan. This carryover plan can be used for future on-campus food purchases but is 100% non-refundable, and cannot be redeemed for cash and/or applied as payment to any other UBC Food Services accounts. Once in the carryover plan these funds do not expire.
- If you do not wish to have your meal plan placed in a carryover account you may request a partial refund on the terms set out below within seven (7) days after your contract cancellation or your Move-Out Date. Refunds are requested using the refund form available online or in the Housing Office. To qualify for a refund a minimum amount of $50 is required. If you request a refund:
- 66% of unused Basic Meal Plan Dollars are refunded, with the remaining 34% retained by UBC Food Services. Unused Flex Dollars are refunded at 100%. All refunds are subject to a $25 administration fee.
- You may request a refund of your Flex Dollars only, and allow your Basic Meal Plan Dollars to automatically be placed in a carryover plan. The Flex Dollars will be refunded at 100% minus a $25 administration fee.
- Refunds are initiated once you have completed the refund form and residence check-out procedures. Refunds are processed using the initial method of payment.
With respect to refunds please note that the 34% non-refundable portion of the meal plan covers the cost of making quality food services available for residents at convenient times.
Your Convenience Plan has no expiration date and can be carried forward to future years. If you wish to refund your Convenience dollars you may do so minus a $25 administration fee.
- Know your mailing address
- All mail addressed to residences is delivered to the Nicola Housing Office. Couriers do not normally deliver to our office on weekends, holidays, or during university closures.
- Mail is accepted to the Nicola Housing Office Monday to Friday.
- Parcels and Letters are sorted and assigned a parcel number or letter number that is emailed to you on the day your parcel or letter arrives.
- If a parcel is delivered to our office for you, please wait for a parcel assignment number in your email and bring your picture ID and parcel number to the Nicola Housing Office to pick up your parcel.
All parcels are sorted by our mail staff, and once the parcel is assigned a parcel number, you will receive an email – just bring your picture ID and the parcel number to the Nicola Housing Office once you have received it.
No problem. As long as you have the correct postal code (V1V 1V8), your parcel will be delivered to our office. If you used the general university postal code (V1V 1V7), this may add an additional delay, or be returned to sender.
Please let us know and we will look it up for you.
Due to the overwhelming amount of mail our office receives in a day – we cannot hold any mail for students who no longer live on campus. You will need to contact the sender and have it redirected to your current address.
It is necessary that we have a mainstreamed process to avoid errors. Therefore, we cannot issue your parcel until it has been sorted, recorded, and a parcel number assigned.
Yes! All parcels that arrive at our office will be assigned a parcel number and emailed on the same day. Our office is open for pick up. For our office hours, head here.
All couriers will hold the parcels on the dates that the University is closed. Once we re-open in the New Year, all parcels will be delivered to our office and sorted and assigned. You are able to pick up your parcels when you return to campus after the break.
We cannot receive grocery orders to our office. If you plan to order groceries for delivery, please make arrangements for the driver to meet you at your residence building to retrieve your order.
All letter mail is assigned a letter number. Please follow the same process for parcels to pick it up.
Once you have moved out we ask that you redirect your mail with your new address.Â If you believe you will be receiving a parcel following moving out you can authorize another person to pick it up for you. Please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with their name, your name and your student number.Â Â Any unclaimed mail will be returned to sender.Â Â
Yes, we will always look up students to ensure the mail is being delivered correctly.