At UBC, sustainability is not just a word to defineâ€”itâ€™s a word that defines us. Through our collective efforts in education, research, partnerships and operations, UBC advances sustainability on our campus and beyond. Our goal is to commit, integrate, demonstrate and inspire.—UBC Sustainability
UBC has been recognized nationally and internationally for its commitment to sustainable living, excellence in energy management, and green-focused operational initiatives, including innovative building designs.
Purcell Energy Savings
UBCâ€™s award-winning Purcell Residence was built with unique sustainability features designed to reduce waste, energy and water use. Connected to its own closed loop geo-exchange heating and cooling system means an anticipated 48 per cent annual energy savings compared to other similar buildings.
- Suites have high-efficiency lighting and heat systems, low-flow plumbing fixtures, and occupancy light sensors.
- More efficient compactors have been installed at Fairview Crescent, Acadia Park and Walter Gage.
- High performance envelope including insulation, window placement and solar tint glass.
- High performance equipped with a panel cladding building insulation system and window sensors to reduce energy loss.
- Storm water drains to a retention pond reducing discharge to the sewer system.
- Won the Fortis BC Powersense Award and achieved Going for Gold designation in UBCâ€™s REAP green building program.