There are a few ways that students in residenceÂ can request to switch rooms. We try our best to accommodate these requests, but cannot make guarantees.
Requesting a switch before moving in
Experience has shown that most students end up very happy with their room in residence, but if you would like to switch rooms, you can use this FORUM to find someone to switch with!
How does it work?
- Join our Room Switch Forum here (create an account or log in – in the top right corner).
- Once you are in, click the Channels button to select “Room Switch Forums”
- Review the posts to see if anyone has already posted somethingÂ that matches what youâ€™re looking for
- If you donâ€™t find what you’re looking for, post your own!
How do I post?
- To post, you’ll need to have an account or be logged in.
- Post a clear topic title (e.g., â€śRoom Switch: Have Similkameen single room; want Monashee quadâ€ť)
- Provide a bit more detail in your post,Â like the type of room and the rental costs
- Other students who see your post can reply if theyâ€™re interested
What do I do after I find someone who wants to switch with me?
- Please be sure that you both have an accepted Housing offer.
- Send a private message to exchange contact information.
- To send a message through the forum, click on their profile, and thenÂ Send a private message
- Once you’ve found another student, see step 2 below.
You both must email firstname.lastname@example.org on the same day with the following information:
- Full name and student ID#
- Current room assignment (room & residence)
- Full name of the person you agreed to switch with and their current room assignment
How long does it take to get a response?
Weâ€™ll contact you by email to confirm the status of your request. While we do our best to respond quickly, it may take up to 5 business days before you hear back from us.
Is the request guaranteed if both students agree to it?
No. You must both be eligible to live in each otherâ€™s room. There may be age and gender restrictions.
What if I donâ€™t find anyone to switch with or I prefer not to join the room switch forum?
If youâ€™re not able to find anyone to switch with, youâ€™re expected to move into your original assignmentâ€”but you still have options. See our information below about applying for a room switch or transfer after moving in.
When is the deadline to request a room switch before moving in?
Any time prior to both students moving in. After move-in, there is a $10 charge.
Requesting a switch after moving in
If you would like to switch rooms after moving into residence and you find another UBC student who shares the same floor or residence area with you and whoÂ wants to switch, please visit the Student Housing office together to discuss your request.
Students who live in different residence areas can also request a switch and must visit theÂ Student Housing officeÂ together to discuss the request.
There is aÂ $10 administration fee per person.
If you wouldÂ like to move rooms, but you are unable to find another student to switch with, beginning at the end of the first week of classes you can apply online for a room transfer. Room TransfersÂ are offered based on availability and if you areÂ eligibleÂ to live inÂ the proposed residence area and room.
Before applying, we encourage youÂ to speak with yourÂ Residence LifeÂ Manager, who would be happy to discuss your concerns and help you find a solution and access resources.
There is aÂ $50 fee forÂ room transfers.
If you’d like to know more, please contact theÂ Student Housing office during regular business hours. Further details about authorized and unauthorized room switches and room transfers are in your Residence Contract.