Switches & Transfers

Group of College students smiling together

There are a few ways that students in residence can request to switch rooms. We try our best to accommodate these requests, but cannot make guarantees.

Students in Winter Session residence areas can apply for a room switch before or after moving in.

Requesting a switch before moving in

Step 1. Find another UBC student to switch with

Please Note: Offers or requests to exchange money for room switches will not be tolerated.

Step 2. Both students apply for the room switch

You both must email information@housing.okanagan.ubc.ca on the same day with the following information:

  • Full name and student ID#
  • Current room assignment (room & residence)
  • Full name of the person you agreed to switch with and their current room assignment
Step. 3. Familiarize yourself with our FAQs

How long does it take to get a response?

We’ll contact you by email to confirm the status of your request. While we do our best to respond quickly, it may take up to 5 business days before you hear back from us.

Is the request guaranteed if both students agree to it?

No. You must both be eligible to live in each other’s room. There may be age and gender restrictions.

What if I don’t find anyone to switch with or I prefer not to join the room switch forum?

If you’re not able to find anyone to switch with, you’re expected to move into your original assignment—but you still have options. See our information below about applying for a room switch or transfer after moving in.

When is the deadline to request a room switch before moving in?

Any time prior to both students moving in. After move-in, there is a $10 charge.

Requesting a switch after moving in

Winter Session residents

If you would like to switch rooms after moving into residence and you find another UBC student who shares the same floor or residence area with you and who wants to switch, please visit the Student Housing office together to discuss your request.

Students who live in different residence areas can also request a switch and must visit the Student Housing office together to discuss the request.

There is a $10 administration fee per person.

Room Transfers

Winter Session residents

If you would like to move rooms, but you are unable to find another student to switch with, beginning at the end of the first week of classes you can apply online for a room transfer. Room Transfers are offered based on availability and if you are eligible to live in the proposed residence area and room.

Before applying, we encourage you to speak with your Residence Life Manager, who would be happy to discuss your concerns and help you find a solution and access resources.

There is a $50 fee for room transfers.


If you’d like to know more, please contact the Student Housing office during regular business hours. Further details about authorized and unauthorized room switches and room transfers are in your Residence Contract.