Residents are required to move out by noon on the day following their last exam, or on the last move out date, whichever is earlier. In exceptional circumstances, residents can apply for a spring extension.
Six steps of the mindful move out
1. Make a plan
- Start one month early. Spend a few hours a week packing and cleaning to avoid stress and housekeeping assessments.
- Make a plan for disposing large, unwanted items like printers, bookshelves, mini-fridges, sports equipment, mirrors and the like. Donate items in good condition.
- Moving out sustainably means trying to recycle/donate most of your unwanted belongings. We recommend separating donations in one box, recycling and e-waste in another, and garbage last.
- Bring items to your residence recycling area.
- Remember: Itâ€™s great to try to reduce waste, but some items DO belong in the garbage (broken, soiled or ripped items, and half-used foods that canâ€™t be recycled/composted).
3. Pack your stuff
- Set aside a few hours each week for packing.
4. Clean, clean, clean
- Complete our detailed cleaning checklist to avoid a housekeeping assessment. Be thorough, respectful, and leave nothing behind.
- Disconnect any service providers you have contracted (Shaw, Telus).
- Drop off your Check Out Envelope (with your keys enclosed) to the Nicola Housing Office. Â There is an after hours drop slot as well.