The University and Student Housing are closed during the winter holiday between Terms 1 and 2, and students living in residence are required to vacate their rooms during this time. Although belongings may remain in residence rooms and suites, key cards are deactivated and will not work during the closure. Details of the mandatory closure are in your Residence Contract.
To apply to remain in residence
Eligible students who wish to remain in residence for any duration of time between December 22 at 12 noon, 2023 and January 7 at 12 noon, 2024 must fill out an online Winter Break Residence Staythrough Request. The application deadline is 11:59 PM (PST), Friday, December 1st, 2023.
If you meet one of the following criteria, you may submit an application by emailing Student Housing directly.
- International students who are unable to travel to their country of residence.
- Graduate students who are required to stay on campus for the purpose of their studies.
- HEAT athletes who are required to attend practice during the winter closure.
Student Housing and Community Services may consider other residence stay-throughs in exceptional circumstances.
Additional documentation may be requested. Examples include:
- Flight itinerary
- Letter from preceptor/coach/faculty
- Documents must be submitted with the application by the Dec. 1 application deadline.
- The university is closed during this period and services on campus will be limited. This includes:
- Food Services (including Pritchard Dining Hall)
- Fitness facilities
- other amenities typically in operation during the academic term
- There will be fewer students in residence and fewer staff members available to support residents. Some Residence Life staff will remain on campus. Campus Security is available 24 hours a day (Emergency: 250-807-8111 | Non-emergency: 250-807-9236).
- Any approval can be revoked at the discretion of the Residence Life Manager.