Student Housing is typically closed during the winter holiday, and students living in residence are required to vacate their rooms during this time. Although belongings may remain in residence rooms and suites, key cards are deactivated and will not work during the closure. Details of the mandatory closure are in your Residence Contract.
Student Housing and Hospitality Services will consider residence stay-throughs in exceptional circumstances. The following groups should submit an application:
- International students who are not planning to travel to their country of residence.
- International students who require accommodations due to complex travel arrangements.
- Graduate students who are required to stay on campus for the purpose of their studies.
- HEAT athletes who are required to attend practice.
- Those looking to avoid or are unable to travel due to Covid-19
All others are welcome to apply, but may not be approved.
To apply to remain in residence
Eligible students who wish to remain in residence after December 23, 2021, or return prior to January 9, 2022, or those who hope to stay throughout the entire 2021-2022 Winter Break must fill out an online Winter Break Residence Staythrough Request. The application deadline is 11:59 PM (PST), Wednesday, December 1st, 2021
- Services on campus will be limited during this period. This includes fitness facilities, Food Services, and residence Front Desk hours.
- There will be fewer students in residence and fewer staff members available to support residents. Some members of the Residence Life will remain on campus. Campus Security is available 24 hours a day (Emergency: 250-807-8111 | Non-emergency: 250-807-9236).
- Any “guarantee” can be revoked at the discretion of the Residence Life Manager.
- Additional documentation may be requested. Examples include:
- Flight Itinerary
- Letter from preceptor/coach/faculty
- Documents must be submitted with the application by the required deadline.