Important NumbersÂ â€˘Â Winter Break ProgrammingÂ â€˘Â Services on CampusÂ â€˘Â Resources
Our campus community becomes much quieter over the Winter Break: Youâ€™ll see only a few people walking through the hallways or laneways, a handful of individuals in common rooms or spaces, and many areas normally bustling with activity looking a fair amount slower than usual.Â
We’ve ensured a number of supports are in place to ensure your safety and security. Since you are among those staying in residence throughout the Winter Break, it’s important you fully read and understand the information weâ€™ve provided to you here, follow the processes weâ€™ve put in place for you, and abide by our Residence Standards.
- Winter Advisor On Call: 250-317-9064 | email@example.com | Available 8:00 PM â€“ 8:00 AM all daysÂ
- Residence Life Staff: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Campus Security: 250-807-8111 (emergency) | 250-807-9236 (non-emergency) | Available 24/7
- Housing Office: 250-807-8050 | CheckÂ office hoursÂ here.
- Health and Wellness: If you become ill over the holidays, or require testing or self-isolation, visit our COVID-19 FAQs page here for more information, or contact the front desk.
Keeping Us Informed
To ensure your safety and security throughout the Winter Break, we will have Residence Advisors available each day in case of emergencies or if you have any questions throughout the break.
It is required that you:
- Check in with the Residence Advisor
- The Advisors will want to connect with you at least once over the Winter Break to make sure youâ€™re doing well and to see if you have any questions or concerns.
- To contact the Advisors: Call 250-317-9064 or Email email@example.com
- If they havenâ€™t heard from you, they will pop by your rooms on rounds.
- Notify Student Housing if your plans change and you will no longer be staying over the break.
- This is so we know youâ€™re not going to be around and arenâ€™t worried when the Advisors havenâ€™t heard from you
- Please send an email with the dates youâ€™ll be away to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please remember that there are relatively few people on the campus, so we want to ensure you have a safe and enjoyable Winter Break!
Winter Break Programming
Over the course of the Winter Break, the Global Engagement Office run a host of events that you are welcome to participate in. Want to have some fun, stay connected and enjoy some free food over the holidays? Check out what UBC has planned for you over the Winter Break.
Activities may include:
- Movie Nights
- Virtual Games
- Paint Nights
- Holiday card making
- Wellness Wednesdays
- Virtual Art Hive
Residence Life Nightly Drop-in: Our Residence Advisors typically run daily events in the evenings. These can range from movie nights, cookie decorating, games and more! We’d love to have you attend! Please share this invitation with other UBC students who are around campus over the break.
Services on Campus
Please Note: There are limited services available to you over the Winter Break.
Nechako Housing Office Winter Break Hours, 2021-2022:
- Dec 24 | Open until 6:15 pm
- Dec 25 â€“ Jan 2 | OpenÂ 9 am â€“ 6:15 pm daily
- Jan 3 | Open 7 am, return to 24 hours
- Mail will be delivered to the office during regular office hours and will be processed throughout the day during the Winter Break. Electronic mailboxes are accessible 24/7, but only in-person pick-ups will be available during office hours. While every effort will be made to have mail processed the same day, please be aware that processing of mail may take longer than usual.Â
- Should you be ordering grocery delivery or meal delivery, please be sure to use your building address and be available for contact with the delivery drivers. The Student Housing office cannot accept grocery and or meal service deliveries such as Instacart,Â Uber Eats and Skip the Dishes.Â Â
Campus Food Services:
- To see all hours for the various locations, please visit Food Services.
- Or see the UBCO Food Services hours at the bottom of this page.
The Winter Advisors will be On Call 24hrs/day for the entire Winter Break beginning Thursday, December 24th at 12:00 pm (noon). Should you have any questions or concerns, they will be your first point of contact. They will be able to assist you with:
|Â·Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Any emergency situations
Â·Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Being locked out of your unit
Â·Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Key cards/keys not working
|Â·Â Â Â Â Â General questions or concerns
Â·Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â A friendly chat
- The Winter Advisors will complete rounds of residence daily, and will need you to check in with them a minimum of two times during the break. Should you need assistance during this period, please contact the Winter Residence Advisors (250-317-9064).
- Security is also always available should you need their services. You can reach their emergency number at 250-807-8111 or the non-emergency number at 250-807-9236.
IT Service Desk:
Please note the UBC IT Okanagan Service Desk will be closing early on Thursday December 9 and Friday December 24th. During the winter break, the Service Desk will be closed to walk ups and phone support from December 27th to January 3rd, 2022. From Tuesday January 4th to 7th phone support will be available from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm. Walk-up support will resume normal operating hours of 8:00 am to 4:00 pm weekdays on January 10th.
UBC Bookstore, 2021-2022:
The UBC Bookstore holiday hours will be:
- Open Monday to Friday including December 24th 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
- Closed between December 27th to 31st
- Open January 4th to 7th 9:00 am to 4:30pm
Extended back to school hour will be posted on their website here.
If you have access to an equipped kitchen and plan on making your own meals, consider ordering groceries online for delivery to your door. A popular and near-by option is Save-On-Foods (select â€śKelownaâ€ť and â€śUBCâ€ť when ordering). We recommend you order well in advance of your preferred delivered date. Take a look at the blog post below for advice on what to cook.
Skip the Dishes has a huge variety of restaurants (including fast-food and local restaurants) that deliver to campus.Â
Popular Meal Kit delivery services (requires equipped kitchen) include:
These links may also be useful: meal kit reviews, comparisons and discounts.