When one student moves out of residence, another will soon move inâ€”sometimes next term and sometimes the next day. In times of turnover, there are important steps both departing and remaining residents must follow to ensure a smooth, fair, and sustainable experience for everyone. All rooms and shared spaces should be as clean as youâ€™d expect them to be for you.Â Avoid stress and conflict by following the Six Steps of a Mindful Move Out.
Six steps of the mindful move out
1. Make a plan
- Start one month early. Spend a few hours a week packing and cleaning to avoid stress and housekeeping assessments.
- Make a plan for disposing large, unwanted items like printers, bookshelves, mini-fridges, sports equipment, mirrors and the like. Donate items in good condition.
- Moving out sustainably means trying to recycle/donate most of your unwanted belongings. We recommend separating donations in one box, recycling and e-waste in another, and garbage last.
- Bring items to your residence recycling area.
- Remember: Itâ€™s great to try to reduce waste, but some items DO belong in the garbage (broken, soiled or ripped items, and half-used foods that canâ€™t be recycled/composted).
3. Pack your stuff
- Set aside a few hours each week for packing.
4. Clean, clean, clean
- Complete our detailed cleaning checklist to avoid a housekeeping assessment. Be thorough, respectful, and leave nothing behind.
5. Redirect your mail
- Please redirect your mail with your new address.Â If you believe you will be receiving a parcel following moving out you can authorize another person to pick it up for you. Please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with their name, your name and your student number.Â Any unclaimed mail will be returned to sender. Â
- Disconnect any service providers you have contracted (Shaw, Telus).
- Drop off your Check Out Envelope (with your keys enclosed) to the Nicola Housing Office. Â There is an after hours drop slot as well.