Last updated: Wednesday, March 17, 4:00 p.m.
Along withÂ UBC, UBCO Student Housing is planning and responding to the global progression of the COVID-19 virus. This page includes our current and ongoing response to this extraordinary situation, and our efforts to protect the health and safety of our community.
Key information regarding the status of your Residence Contract.
- Students who are unable to leave residence may continue to stay in residence for the duration of their contract (up to April 30, 2020). If you believe you require housing following the end of your contract, please apply immediately for summer housing.
- For those who are able to leave residence, you must visit the Front Desk once you have vacated your room to check-out of residence. Students in winter session residence who check-out of residence byÂ March 31, 2020Â will receive a refund to theirÂ Student HousingÂ account from the day they vacateÂ theirÂ residence to the end of their contract (pro-rated).
- If you have already fully moved out of residence and did not officially check-out at your Front Desk, please email firstname.lastname@example.orgÂ to let us know.
If you are a resident of on a mandatory meal plan, you will receive a pro-rated refund of your residence meal plan effective the date of your move-out. Any unused funds will automatically be placed into carry-over.Â If you do not wish to have your meal plan paced in a carry-over account, you may request a partial refund on the terms set out in your residence contract within seven days of your move out date.
UBC is regularly receiving and proactively responding to updated information from both the Provincial Medical Health Office, BC Centre for Disease Control, Ministry of Health and the Interior Health Authority.
In response to COVID-19, we have taken the additional following measures:
- Additional signage in community and public washrooms and throughout residence buildings reminding residents, staff and visitors to wash their hands
- Hand sanitizer dispensers in each buildings
- Regular cleaning with medical grade disinfectant in high touch areas (door handles, railings, bathrooms, etc.)
- Residence staff trained to refer residents with cold or flu-like symptoms to HealthLink BC at 8-1-1, Student Health Services or their own health care professional
- Limited number of self-isolation units set aside for residents who are not local and have been directed by their health professional to self-isolate
Students are also reminded to visitÂ www.ubc.caÂ for updates related to COVID-19.
Should you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach-out to us. We also understand this is a challenging time for many and we are here to help.
Please check this page regularly for important updates. We also encourage you to stay up-to-date at www.ubc.ca where you will find FAQs with additional resources and information.